Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Reading Time...

It’s Christmas Eve Eve and Charlie and I just spent the day together, reading on the couch and occasionally talking and petting our dog. It was lovely.

I wonder if other couples have “reading time” like we do. There are established rules—like no asking annoying questions, no tickling, no TV or music (except for my Zune with earphones because I like reading to music..) Food is allowed and occasional bathroom breaks. Pretty much, it is quiet time, with us just lounging in bed or on the couch, our legs intertwining, until one or the both of us finish our book, falls asleep, or gets a huge surge of ADD. My favorite rule is the kissing rule. While we are reading, if one of the readers would like a kiss, all one has to say is “reading rule” and lean over. The other participant is obligated to then, stop wherever paragraph they are reading, and give the other person a kiss.

This doesn’t work so well with the puppy, but he is getting used to the reading rules too. He will sometimes jump on our laps and shove a toy in our faces like, “Um, hello, play with me!” But like I said, he is learning. He is finally content to sit on our laps, and have us absent-mindedly pet his fur while we are engrossed in the Sci-Fi (Jude Fisher's Sorcery Rising for Charlie) and YA (The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart for Jazzy) novels we are holding.

In case our nerdiness was not clearly established already, I think this little glimpse into our lives has sealed that up for us.

Just curious, what are some of the funny, little traditions (or whatever you want to call them) that you and significant others do when you spend the day together? And no, I don't want to know about that...

2 comments:

Jo said...

My significant other and I usually have a staring contest every day around feeding time. I stare until he gives me his fanned beard look and he stares until I give him the food. Squishy and I are tight like that :)

Nancy said...

Jo- you are funny.

Jazzy- Brandon and I are a bit like this. Although we don't have official rules. Or unofficial rules. His sister always tries to imagine what being married to each other is like since we both love to read (she does, her husband... not so much). We (and now you guys) remind me of the closing scene of Notting Hill when Julia Roberts is lying on the park bench with her head in Hugh Grant's lap rubbing her belly and Hugh Grant is reading a book. Except she should be reading too, not just starring off into space.