Monday, July 7, 2008

I Like To Read...

So my sister said my blog is missing something-- a suggested reading list. Apparently she likes the books I babble about when we get together so I thought I would add a list. Feel free to comment or suggest some books yourself. And just as a warning, I must remind you about 2 things that will explain my random taste in literature. #1- I teach high school so a lot of what I read is what I like to call "research" for my job. And #2- I'm married to a Sci-Fi freak so in order to have intelligent conversations with him that proves we are both English nerds, I read some sci-fi too. So here you go, Cher. Enjoy. (I'll add more later this summer, ok?)

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
A Holocaust story about a young German girl but with a unique narrator, Death.

The Year of Secret Assignments by Jaclyn Moriarty
3 high school friends in Australia take on secret assignments as they write pen pal letters with some boys from a rival school. A very fast read but fun characters.

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
I was hoping this book would not say that I had to travel all over the world (Italy, India, Indonisia) to find inner peace because, really, who can really afford that? I was pleasantly suprised. I loved the metaphors used and it was incredibly well-written.

Looking For Alaska by John Green
Sometimes I have a difficult time reading YA Lit with a male narrator because the focus usually is on sex, drinking, and more sex. But this one I enjoyed. It still has those things in it, but in a different way. It also has an interesting theme of studying Last Words.

The Host by Stephenie Meyer
Same incredible story-telling from the Twiligh series, but a step-up in the writing department. I loved it, and so did Charlie, which is a hard sell.

The Change Series by S. M. Stirling, it starts with the book Dies the Fire
There are currently 4 books in the series about what the world would be like if all of a sudden there is no electricity, no gun power, etc, so the world is thrown back about 200 years. An interesting look at humanity. These aren't really Sci-Fi books but leans more towards that then anything else.

3 comments:

Jo said...

We are kindred spirits as I've read half of these. I'm almost finished with 'The Book Thief'. I'm actually having to concentrate to read it so it's taking me longer :)

Nancy said...

Yea... I'm always trying to get people to come up with reading lists for me. So, how about reviewing some of these for our sad sad neglected book blog.

Cher said...

Thanks sis for the book list. I have already read the Host, and Eat, Pray, Love, which I really liked as well. I will look up the others.